Surya namaskar or sun salutation is a powerful yoga for weight loss. Surya namaskar is usually a combination of 12 yogic asanas.
You can easily lose weight just by doing Surya namaskar daily. It can be an easy way to lose weight by doing Surya namaskar.
It not only helps in losing weight but also helps to build muscles, strength, and provide flexibility to the body.
How to do Surya namaskar or sun salutation
Surya namaskar basically consists of 12 yogic asanas.
- Pranam asana
- Hasta Uttanasana
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana
- Chaturanga Dandasana
- Ashtanga Namaskara
- Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana
- Uttana hastasana
If you are a beginner and you do not know how to do Surya Namaskar, then you can just check this video to get full information about how we can perform Surya namaskar.
How many calories we can burn while doing Surya Namaskar?
One of the studies has shown that doing one round of Surya Namaskar helps in burning 13.90 calories. It means, if you do 30 repetitions of Surya namaskar then you can burn around 417 calories.
The number of calories burned is not constant for every person. it purely depends on the bodyweight of an individual and the pace of the variations.
You can start doing Surya namaskar with 10-15 repetitions a day and then you can increase the number of repetitions as per your capability.
Calories burned from other activities vs the Surya namaskar:
- Weight lifting – 120 calories
- Swimming – 150-250 calories
- Cycling (12-13.9km/h) – 300 calories
- Running – 200-500(depends on pace)
- Surya Namaskar – 417 calories
Advantage of choosing Surya Namaskar for weight loss
A beginner can easily go with Surya Namaskar to lose weight, Choosing Surya Namaskar for weight loss has a lot of advantages like:
- It does not require a lot of space to perform. You can easily perform Surya Namaskar at your home.
- You do not need any equipment to perform Surya Namaskar.
- The chances of having any injury are less as compared to weight lifting or other workouts.
- It does not require a lot of time to perform. Doing Surya Namaskar for 30-40 minutes is enough for someone who wants to lose weight.
Along with losing weight, Surya Namaskar improves your muscles strength, flexibility, and help you to train almost every body part.
Tips to do Surya Namaskar for weight loss
If you are a beginner and want to lose weight by doing Surya Namaskar. In the initial stage, it would be difficult for you to perform more repetition of Surya Namaskar.
Tips for doing Surya Namaskar:
- Do the asanas of Surya Namaskar correctly, Not doing the correct form would not get you the result.
- In the initial stages, Do not try to perform Surya Namaskar with Fast speed, doing so may cause injury.
- If you are a beginner, then you can take a break after a set of repetitions.
- Always perform Surya namaskar with an empty stomach.
- Do not try to overstretch your body while performing the asanas of Surya Namaskar, Doing that may cause serious injury.
Who should not perform the Surya Namaskar?
- Women should not perform the Surya Namaskar after the third month of pregnancy.
- One who is suffering from high blood pressure, hernia, the stroke should not perform the Surya Namaskar.
- Women should avoid Surya Namaskar during the onset of menstruation/Periods.
- Someone who has had any surgery should consult his/her doctor before performing Surya Namaskar.
1. Does Surya Namaskar reduce belly fat?
Surya Namaskar may be effective for one to lose belly fat. Doing it with high speed can be assumed as a cardio exercise, which is more effective to lose belly fat.
2. How many Surya Namaskar in a day to lose weight?
In general, the more repetition you do, the more you will lose weight. If we see the numbers, one should perform at least 50 repetitions of Surya Namaskar in order to lose weight.
3. What is the best time to do Surya Namaskar?
You can do Surya Namaskar at any time, whether it is morning or evening. but you should make sure that you should have an eating gap of at least 3-4 hours before doing Surya Namaskar.
4. How many calories we burned while doing Surya Namaskar?
Basically, the calories burned is always varied with the person. but in general, some studies have shown that doing one round of Surya Namaskar helps in burning 13.9 calories, and doing Surya Namaskar for 30 minutes can help you to burn around 417 calories.
Surya Namaskar may be the most effective yoga for someone who wants to lose weight. doing it daily not only helps you to lose weight, but it can also help you to build muscles, increase flexibility, increase the strength of your body.
In the initial stage, it may be difficult for you to perform more repetition of Surya Namaskar. but once you become habitual of doing Surya Namaskar, it would be easy for you to perform more repetition of it.
While performing Surya Namaskar, do not try to overstretch your body, or it may cause some serious injury.
You can add some other yoga asanas along with Surya Namaskar to lose weight fast and build muscles and flexibility.